Venues

© Martin Vandory

Ambras Castle, Spanish Hall and St. Nicholas Chapel

The Spanish Hall was built around 1570 and is one of the most significant freestanding halls of the Renaissance. The picturesque lay-out of the 43 m long hall with its coffered ceiling is dominated by full-length portraits of the rulers of the Tyrol. Since 1963, the hall has been a venue for Early Music concerts. The construction of the St. Nicholas Chapel dates back to the 14th century. However, the present-day appearance of the small church within the walls of Ambras Castle was designed in the 19th century.

Schloss Straße 20 (Within walking distance of Innsbruck’s city district of Ambras; shuttle buses on concert evenings)

© Klaus Rudolph

Tyrolean State Theatre

The Tyrolean State Theatre is located on the site of the former “Comedihaus”, theatre of the Tyrolean rulers, which was constructed in 1653/54 based on plans of Christoph Gumpp. Its opening was celebrated with Cesti’s opera “Cleopatra”. Until 1662 it was frequently used as an opera house. After its renovation in 1765, there were three celebratory performances of Hasse’s opera “Romolo ed Ersilia”. Due to its bad state of repair, the theatre was closed down in 1844 to be reconstructed. The new building had constructional defects from the beginning and after little more than a century, in 1961, it was closed and substantially renovated, reconstructed and expanded. The Tyrolean State Theatre was reopened in 1967. Since 1980, the Theatre has been staging operas of the Innsbruck Festival of Early Music.

Rennweg 2, opposite the Hofburg

© Martin Vantory

Hofburg, Riesensaal

In the mid-18th century, Empress Maria Theresia commissioned the reconstruction of the Hofburg, seat of the Tyrolean rulers, in Viennese Rococo style. The magnificent building remained in this form until today. The name of “Riesensaal” (“Giant’s Hall”) stems from the former paintings in the hall, depicting a Hercules cycle that was replaced in Maria Theresia’s times by the large portraits of the imperial family. The ceiling fresco, realised by Franz Anton Maulbertsch, glorifies the connection between the houses of Habsburg and Lorraine. The Riesensaal has been a venue for concerts since the earliest days of the Innsbruck Festival.

Rennweg 1

© Martin Vandory

Hofkirche

Emperor Ferdinand I ordered the construction of the Hofkirche (or Court Church), which was begun in 1553 and completed in 1563, to house the tomb of Emperor Maximilian I. The design and construction were entrusted to Andrea Crivelli and Court Architect Niclas Türing the Younger. The high altar that we can see today in the three aisled Hall Church was designed by the Viennese Court Architect Nikolaus Pacassi and constructed in 1755. 28 larger-than-life bronze statues, which are commonly called “Schwarzmander” (“Black Men”), flank the sarcophagus of the Emperor Maximilian I. The best artists of the empire were commissioned for the artistic design of the tomb, such as Albrecht Dürer, Veit Stoß and Jörg Kölderer. The organ in the presbytery was built between 1558 and 1561 by organ builder Jörg Ebert from Ravensburg. With its 15 registers, two manual keyobards and a pedal keyboard, it is the largest Renaissance organ in Austria.

Universitätsstraße 2, corner Rennweg (entry through the Tiroler Volkskunstmuseum – Museum of Tyrolean Folk Art)

© Philip Brunnader

Faculty of Theology, inner courtyard

The archway courtyard of the Faculty of Theology is situated in the oldest part of the Old University’s west wing (the former Jesuit College), which was built in 1562. The three-storey building was expanded in mid-17th century to adjoin the court in front of the Jesuit Church. The homogeneous design of the façade was realised some time later by the Innsbruck based architect Johann Martin Gumpp the Elder. The entry to the inner courtyard is on the north side of the building, which its baroque façade facing the Universitätsstraße.

Universitätsstraße 4

© Stift Wilten

Wilten Basilica

Wilten Abbey and its Basilica are located on the site of the Roman fortress Veldidena and its surrounding settlement. A church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was first mentioned in manuscripts dating from around 565. In 1128, following an order of the bishop of Brixen, the secular priests of the monastery were replaced by Premonstratensians. It was at its height in the 17th and 18th centuries that the Abbey and the Basilica were rebuilt in splendid early Baroque design. It is in this state that we can still see it today. The design of the Basilica was entrusted to Christoph Gumpp and the church was later expanded in Baroque style by Georg Anton Gumpp. The aisle-less church is a fine example of South German architecture of the time. Its richly ornamented ceiling, decorated with magnificent stucco decorations and frescos, leads up to the stage-like structure of the church’s impressive high altar.

Klostergasse 7, Terminus Tramline 1

© Martin Vandory

Jesuit Church

The Jesuit Church was erected between 1627 and 1633 on the model of the Salzburg Cathedral, which was planned by Italian architect Santino Solari. The façade of the Jesuit Church was designed by the Innsbruck Court Architect Christoph Gumpp. In 1773, it was declared University Church. The so-called “Schützenglocke”, cast in 1959 by Innsbruck-based bell-foundry Grassmayr, is Austria’s largest free-swinging bell.

Karl-Rahner-Platz 2

© Martin Vandory

Tiroler Landeskonservatorium, concert hall

The Tiroler Landeskonservatorium (Tirolean State Conservatory) is situated in the building of the former Innsbruck Musical Society, founded in 1812. Today, approximately 500 students receive musical training in this institution. They can study a variety of subjects, such as vocal or instrumental courses, courses on music pedagogy, as well as jazz. The concert hall, formerly the concert hall of the Musical Society, is at the heart of the building.

Paul-Hofhaymer-Gasse 6, next to the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum (Tyrolean State Museum)

Stift Stams Basilica

The Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1273 by monks from Kaisheim Abbey in Bavaria. The building that we can see today, with its characteristic onion-shaped domes, was erected between 1650 and 1750, after a large fire in 1593 completely destroyed the original edifice. The Basilica, dedicated to St. Mary and St. John the Baptist, is a long hall of Roman architectural design and features splendid stucco decorations and frescos of the Baroque and Rococo eras.

Stift Stams, 6422 Stams, Stiftshof 1

We would like to thank all our sponsors and partners

Be informed and subsribe for the newsletter of the Innsbruck Festival

The next events of the Innsbruck Festival