Until 1662 it was used regularly as an opera house. In 1765, after a renovation, three festival performances of Hasse's opera "Romolo ed Ersilia" took place. In 1844 the theater was closed due to disrepair. The new building had construction defects from the beginning and was closed after a little over a century in 1961 and immediately renewed, rebuilt and expanded. In 1967 the Tyrolean State Theater reopened. Since 1980, operas have been offered in the Tyrolean State Theater as part of the Innsbruck Festival.